Friday, February 26, 2010

Hardly anybody gets to see that

Ever experienced the Tennessee hinterland? Well - I thought to leave early from Murfreesboro, TN so I get to Murphy, NC early enough to take a walk and get some exercise before playing at Doyle's. About 30 miles before my destination they closed the main road due to a rock slide - I had to triple back and it turned out to be a three hours detour along rural roads with no shoulder and heavy duty holes that could easily destroy even the best tire! Part of me loves that because I know that hardly anybody gets to see that, but I always wonder what folks do out there - I mean where do they work? where do they buy their groceries and in what quantities, where do they hang out together? How is life off the grid in all these run down trailers?
Well, in some way part of me feels just the same driving across the continent in my little Japanese half house over and over again. It becomes familiar when we repeat it, home when we keep it, our own when we take and accept it.

Murphy, NC 2/27/2010

No comments: