Saturday, February 06, 2010

What makes sense in Austin?

Yesterday I left Houston and drove the 3h to Austin for a little gig at Mozart's Coffee Roasters. He would have probably turned in his grave...It's actually a nice cafe right on the lake but boy - why play music there? Can't be the $80 guarantee that is unusual for a Coffeehouse. Somebody shouting "Triple Soy Latte for Isabel" or "Darjeeling Tea for Michael" out of the top of their lungs while at the same time the espresso machine is roaring and three parties of Asian teenagers talk the latest fashion with high pitchy voices that are hard to drone out. Boy do I feel out of place - Why would anybody want to drink coffee at 10:30 pm? I don't get it. I'm glad when the clock hits 11 and I can pack up. Three trips to the car and off it goes back to the Motel 6 I checked in this afternoon. I'm tired and haven't really eaten anything yet. Can't decide to stop and have a bite so I just go back.
Then this darn key won't work - the lobby is packed with folks wanting a cheap Motel. After a while I get a new key - still not working! I'm close to losing it partly because it's cold out there and I'm freezing and tired! They have to bring a black box to surgically let me in my room. By now it's 1 AM and I'm done for the day. I really hope I have a few folks come out to my house concert today. So far I still have to play anything in Austin that makes sense!

Austin, TX 2/6/2010

No comments: