Friday, April 30, 2010

Where is a Banjo when you need it?

Just spent three wonderful days in DC. I remember recording at XM radio years ago with "Two Loons for Tea". We played in Manhatten after midnight and then had a night drive to DC and a morning recording and then flying back to Seattle. This time around I got what I needed - some time to look around and explore! I so appreciate the architecture and spacial distributions of the Mall and all the Monuments. Three days of sunshine certainly did not hurt. I played a little show for the staff of the Library of Congress and it was wonderful. I got my own dedicated folder at the American Folklife Center!!! Not to forget a 2h personal tour where I saw the original Gutenberg Bible, The Jefferson Collection, the Gershwin brothers piano and typewriter, Rodin sculptures, and I got to sing at the Coolidge Auditorium, one of the best sounding concert venues in the country:) I was about a feet above ground for the rest of the day and in love with life. Yesterday I drove all the way out to Thomas, WV right into the boonies - Oh my what a change of scenery. I played a show for 4 folks at the Purple Fiddle and for the first time in years I had the feeling that I'm the wrong act - where is a Banjo when you need it...Anyways after three of the four left I had a nice conversation, sold a CD, and made a new fan. John, the owner took me out to a Tavern where they serve the beer in jars and jam mountain music until dawn - great place to do a social study:)
Today the sun is out and I'm sitting at a Cafe listening to J.S. Bach and doing some promotional work besides letting my mind wander around. Got to go back to the venue and pack my staff so I can get on the road towards Fredericksburg, VA where I play tonight.

Thomas, WV 4/30/2010

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hans -- yes, that visit to XM was fun... and they still play the songs we performed even after all these years! Glad you got a chance to explore DC this time.

best from the nest,

jonathan