Monday, October 10, 2005

Early morning Ferry

We had to get up at 6 am to catch the ferry to Islay (means Island on Gaelic) It’s a bit stormy but relatively warm. The dock is about 15 minutes away from our hotel and we have to hurry to get there. The destination harbor got changed due to the weather and I hope we’re still getting picked up because we had to leave the car behind. It would have cost a fortune.
here is one of Davids pic during the ride.

It’s an estimated 2.5 hours on the boat. I can’t remember the last time I was on a boat for so long and I’m not exactly looking forward to it. The weather is getting worse and the waves higher. I have to concentrate so I don’t mess up their freshly cleaned carpet. Luckily I find a bench and lay down which oddly enough seems to help. When we finally reach Islay we’re picked up by a school bus that will get us to our first destination the local high school where we will give a 4h workshop for about 100 kids.
Here I go

After two hours there is a little lunch break and we get to chat with the director. The kids are very well behaved and it’s actually quite enjoyable. Directly after the workshop we’re picked up by Alan our dedicated driver and brought to another school on the other end of the island. When we arrive a teacher is welcoming us and we’re brought into the gym. These kids are especially sweet and very responsive. Once we’re finished one of the teachers is driving us to the B&B where we’re staying. She tells us that there is only one traffic light at the island and that is only because of a construction zone. There is also no roundabout, no cinema and no McDonalds. Once I’m in my room I cuddle up in bed to catch a little sleep before we’re going to our concert. Before we leave we get a fabulous dinner at the B&B. The organizer of the concert is picking us up and brings us to the hall. It’s a wonderful space where we can play all acoustic. It’s a magic last concert for me and everybody comes up to get a handshake, a chat or an autograph on the CD. They definitely want us back and I can’t wait ‘till next year. There are more than eight distilleries on Islay including Lagavulin and Laphroig so I need more time to explore.

No comments: