Sunday, March 04, 2007

Eating Alligator

Sure glad I had 4 hours of sleep and a shower before driving to Matairie a suburb of New Orleans. The original UU church was flooded and is still in restoration, so the congregation meets in a temporary space.

The service is very nice and about the “Four Agreements” by Miguel Ruiz, this is one of my only books that I actually took on the road! I get the chance to play a little concert after the sermon and have a great exchange with everybody. I get a recommendation to drive through Acadian land where the Cajuns life :)
So I take off and drive towards Baton Rouge.

Here I croos over one arm of the Mississippi river which enters the Gulf of Mexico.

After that there is a continuous swamp to both sides of the freeway.

Finally I reach my first destination, “Breaux Bridges” a famous Acadian settlement.
I treat myself to a real Cajun experience and enter the famous Mulate’s restaurant.

It was recommeded to me that I should try the local Cray fish, a Cajun specialty, but they are seasonal and I’m out of luck so I have to be a little more advenurous and order Alligator :)

The restaurant has a great atmosphere and there is even a Cajun band playing - very good indeed. Check out the ceiling, It is plastered with Business cards of visitors, amongst them Harrison Ford, Meg Ryan, and Steven Spielberg just to name a few of the celebrity guests that have dined here. So after all I’m finally in good company :)

After several Cajun punches (It’s a drink, I wasn’t hit...well maybe a little) I drive a couple of miles to get a Motel. What a day!

No comments: