Tuesday, March 13, 2007

One more day as a tourist

In the morning I spend some time in a nice Cafe just across the street from my motel. I get to answer some emails and work a little before I’m back on I 40.

I can’t quite get my mind to go straight to CA without spending some more time around here. So I take the next opportunity and get back on Route 66 driving towards the Grand Canyon Caverns. It is one of the largest dry Caverns in the country. With the lack of moisture and bacteria everything down there is preserved, as is a Bob Cat that fell into a natural opening around 1850.

After an hour tour I’m back in the open and ready to take on the road again.

Here I just crossed over the Colorado River into California. You can still see the river as a thin blue line in the distance.

Then I’m entering the Mojave desert.

It seems to go on forever and ever and more than once I imagine how it must have been crossing it on a horse...

It’s getting dark and I try to find a motel but there are only two little places in the desert that have a gas station but that is it! I have to drive all the way to Barstow and get the first Motel that comes in sight. I’m done for the day! Luckily there is a chinese fast food around the corner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Assume you are back home and the circle is complete. Enjoyed your blog and pics. And especially seeing you here in Phoenix at Fiddlers. We are still talking about it. Please come back to Fidds if you head out on the road again. You are awesome and inspirational. Best to you.