Thursday, August 30, 2007

Darn, what's that smoke???

Some people leave around 6 am and are simply rowdy - darn it, it would have been great to get some more hours asleep! I turn and turn for about an hour before I get up. It’s another beautiful day and after a long shower I’m ready for the next adventure. Today I’m going to play at Swallow Hill in Denver and am looking forward to that one! But first a coffee. I’ll drive of and am on my way to downtown Sterling.

I spend some hours doing email and working on my tour in ‘08 before I hit the road again. It’s only about 130 miles today.

Oh how I love those yellow corn flowers. They are all along the highway in Eastern Colorado.

Finally I can see the first mountains in the distance. It’s quite misty and they are just a silhouette against a blue-grey sky.

The sun is shining towards the East and there are some dramatic cloud constellations to be seen. I should stop and take time to shoot some photos but I’m already late so I just take snapshots out of the window.

There is Denver - it’s great to be back but also a little strange after a couple of days in the prairie.

I love Swallow Hill and am glad to see my name on the marquee out there.

They have several performance venues and I’m supposed to play at the Cafe but
there is already something going on...

They offer me the bigger space which is great! I’ve played there several years ago while on tour with Jamie Laval and Jon Hamar. This is going to be a fun night.

Well, at the time the concert is supposed top start I have a single person in the audience - can you believe it, I worked hard to promote this one but you never know. I play despite that and just go completely acoustic. In the next half hour my audience grows to eight from which three are volunteers at Swallow Hill. I have a great time anyway and whoever saw the show certainly won’t forget it!
After I’m done we all sit and chat a bit. Dave, who was supposed to do sound offers me a bed at his house and I gladly accept. First we go for a beer. I follow his bike to the other side of the city. What’s that smoke? Oh darn, I can’t believe it - the car is totally overheating and now I can smell the cooler fluid and see big smoke clouds coming out of the hood. I guess when it rains it pours! I make it to his house and hope that it’s just a rubber hose gone bad! His family is very inviting and I make again some new friends along the rocky path to stardom:)

No comments: