Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The four presidents

Despite the late night I get up early and take a little stroll around. Wow - I’m in paradise. It is so quiet and beautiful...

I can totally imagine how it was a hundred years ago.
After that I’m going inside to have some coffee - I need to wake up.

I have a noon show at the Songbird, which is a wonderful Cafe downtown Custer, about 16 miles away from the cabin.

I have a lot of fun playing and people love me. John wants me back on a Saturday evening to do a “real” show. I’m already looking forward to that...
After the show I do some email and then make my way to the four presidents - Mt Rushmore. I drive through Custer State Park which is again simply stunning.

I remember the site from a James Bond movie and am pretty excited to see to it for real.

what a tremendous work that was to carve the faces into the mountain. I realize that it also feels a little strange because the Indians refer to the Black hills as sacred land and why should you carve a mountain when it already is so beautiful. Well, that could be a long conversation...

I walk around and still enjoy the view. Here is Lincoln close up

Later I drive back to Custer. John has invited me to play with him and his friend Warren a little evening show at the Cafe. We have a lot of fun singing everything from John Denver to Crosby, Stills Nash & Young to Amazing Grace in close harmony.

After that we drive back to the cabin. IIt is pouring down and all over sudden there is lighning I haven’t seen before just like the heaven creatures take night shots with the most powerful flashlights. Once we’re back we talk again until the wee mornig hour. Tomorrow I have a 8 hour drive to Sioux Falls.

No comments: