Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Birmingham Slums

Todays journey via Memphis brings me through Alabama.

In Birmingham I’m supposed to get to another highway but somehow lose my way.

After driving through downtown for a while I end up in the worst part of the city. Not only is it a grey day, especially after leaving Savannah, but now I see the worst that America has to offer. I think about taking pictures but am simply too sad and can’t remove myself from the devastation of this ongoing slum! It takes me about two hours to find my way out but I know that what I saw will be engraved in my mind forever :(
By the time I get closer to Memphis the sun goes down and I have spend another 12 hours in the car.

When I arrive at the Marriott I meet with Jamie who already picked up my batch and signed me in.

After that I’m going to the bar and have a beer. I’m not in the mood for talking at all but there is a business man that starts a conversation. It is amazing, we instantly connect and chat for a full four hours! It is exactly what I needed to get in the mood for my late night showcase at 1:30 pm. It goes well and the demons of the day went to sleep :) After that I stop by Jamie and Ashley’s room - they are still playing.

I didn’t have a place to stay to begin with but my friend Wes Weddell, a fellow Seattle songwriter, has a room in a hotel about six blocks away and gave me a key just in case I need it. He has only one bed but I have a matte that I can put on the floor. I get all my stuff in the car and start to drive again! Man, am I stupid or what?! I can’t find the darn place. It’s after 3 am and I stop on the side of the street in a place where I find WIFI and google my way. Half an hour later I’m lying flat on the floor!

No comments: