Wednesday, April 26, 2006

All the way to Ohio

I get up early, around 7 am and do some biz before I get ready to leave Chicago. I have a show in Cleveland this evening and it’s about a 7 hour drive plus I lose an hour from Central to Eastern time. First I have to go to the post office to drop off some letters and a CD, after that I get a coffee and get going. It’s been a great time here and I feel a little sadness rising up in me but the sunshine invites me to start the next adventure. The drive is long and uneventful, mostly on I 90 with some toll stops in between. I finish some lyrics on the way writing it in the car.

I reach Cleveland around 6 pm but somehow miss the right exit and have to improvise. There is a ball game tonight and lots of streets are actually closed up by police so I end up cruising through downtown.

It takes about an hour before I find Wilberts. I realize that I had passed it several times before but did not see the little sign.

It’s a big Bar/Restaurant with a stage in one corner. The staff is nice and Michael the owner is a good guy. He’s asking me right away if I want some food or drinks. There are two acts tonight. I start the evening followed by Orooni, a Jam- Funk Band. They are from Fort Collins, CO and are all very friendly. There is nobody there and I wait until about 9 pm.

It stays like that and so I play for the band who loves it. I play about an hour and then stay to listen to the band until about midnight. I have no place to stay and so I need to get back on I 90 East to find a Motel. It takes about an hour to get out of Cleveland and my sense of direction is a little off target. Finally I make it and drive about 90 min East. I’m tired and there is not a lot of traffic.

Finally I find a little motel and get to bed instantly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Blog! Featured on www.travel-rants.com as 'Blog of the Day' congrats! :)