Monday, April 17, 2006

Surprise Surprise

I awake early already tired again and wonder where the heck I am. Then I get it and peel myself out of bed. When I peek out the window I only see a white misty soup with nothing to get a focus on. I decide to go back to bed and wait until the fog I awake early already tired again and wonder where the heck I am. Then I get it and peel myself out of bed. When I peek out the window I only see a white misty soup with nothing to get a focus on. I decide to go back to bed and wait until the fog lifts.
Then I pack and get going.

I still have to find a a solution for my tail lights and that I need to get that fixed. Yesterday the head light switch worked a couple of times and with enough wriggling I get is to work but this morning it is simply not happening. The next bigger city is Bismarck, right on the Missouri river and about 20 minutes later I drive into the next depressive place.

Wow, is it me? It might but at the time I can’t see anything uplifting here and just get the notion of how in the world could someone live here. Well, It is me, I’m a little darker than usual and can’t even have music in the car. I try to listen to radio but the stuff is going on my nerves. Finally I turn South in Jamestown going down 281. Slowly the sun comes through the clouds and it’s amazing how a little light can brighten up my day.

I open my windows and start enjoying the ride. I roll into Aberdeen some hours later and go right to the Red Rooster. Nice place! I like it. I start working on some email when I’m approached by someone who introduces himself Tim Anderson, a a studio owner in town. He read about me in the local paper that ran a big story including a photo in their entertainment section. He invites over to check it out. I don’t have anything better to do so what the heck. I can’t describe my surprise once we walk in there.

I’ve been in some studios in my life but this one tops it all, from the equipment to the rooms, everything is top notch and in his office he shows me several gold records that he was involved while being in L.A. It’s stunning to fin this here in South Dakota of all places. Everybody in the studio is very nice and they ask me to play some of my songs and are sincerely impressed.

I have to leave to go back to the coffee but I’ll see them later at the show
Pete Burkhard, a local guitar player and singer opens for me with a nice bluesy set.
Then I go on. Wow, this is a great place the reaction of the audience is simply overwhelming and I feel totally loved. After 90 minutes I’m sweating and standing at the CD table chatting and selling everything on it. I have to run to the car to get some more out of the box. I get a couple of handmade cards and a poem and Paula a very nice woman from Columbia brings a 6 pack of Corona after the show because I mentioned that I’m craving for a beer. In the end I gather everybody that is left for a photo

Than I go and meet with Pete and his sun Justin who is also a touring musician. We have some great conversation before we go to their house where we party on with the whole family until the wee morning hours. What a fulfilled surprising day that was and I’m still stunned when I lay down on the couch and close my eyes for about three hours of sleep before I have to get up and drive to Sioux Falls to my car appointment.

No comments: