Monday, April 24, 2006

Another day in Windy City

I hardly believe where I am when I wake up and have to blink twice. Yes, it’s a wonderful little studio apartment about 10 minutes walking distance from the Lake and from downtown, right in the heart of “Old Town.“

After doing some email and biz I get out and start exploring the neighborhood

I find a little thai place and have lunch before I start my walk down to the lake. It’s a beautiful day and the sun burns down. TI pass a park with playing kids and everything seems to be in balance. The lake is gorgeous and the water has almost a turquoise color to it.

From the lake it’s a straight shot downtown and the walk feels great. People are out doing all kinds of activities and almost everybody has a smile on their face. It’s a fascinating city, that’s for sure.



I walk into a Rainforest Cafe and get a couple of T-shirts for my girls. I start a conversation with Cindy who works there. She’s had an ex that worked as a sound engineer and as a musician so she’s interested in my tour story. In the end she gives me a nice Chicago T-shirt for free and puts a lot of good energy in it.

I’m starting to walk back to the apartment, I’m getting a little tired and still want to go out to the Open Mic night at the Uncommon Ground. How about one more pic just of the sidewalk?

When I get back I just have time to grab my stuff and drive up to the venue. It’s a Cups game night and the stadium is around the corner of the Uncommon Ground, which means it is almost impossible to get a parking spot. After about 50 minutes I’m close to giving up and driving back home. There, I spot a place and park. To be sure I’m good I ask a woman that walks by. She tells me that it is a trap, there is no sign but the police tickets it anyway. She tells me to wait for a little and disappears around the corner. When she comes back she hold a residential parking pass in her hands and gives it to me. I’m stunned, wow, I certainly did not expect that. With that I find a spot just close by and get in time to the venue. It’s a great Open mic and I have a good time listening and playing. After that it’s late and I get back to the apartment where I fall into bed straight away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hans,

It sounds like the windy city has much of what you needed...good energy!! I'm glad to hear it! I've flown over it in the summer and I've seen that lake frozen over in the winter. I much prefer the shots you have here. Great shot of the lake and the Sears Tower. But what takes the cake is..."she comes back she hold a residential parking pass in her hands and gives it to me." Never in LA my friend. Angelenos will invite you to park on their lawn for a mere tenbucks. It's been a while so the price may have gone up. God I love LA!

Take care Hans! Your journal is my morning reading!
Wonderful!
Rosendo