Sunday, April 16, 2006

Into the Bad Lands of North Dakota

I get up fairly late but the bed feels so good and I don’t have a show, only a long drive. After a quick shower and breakfast I take a snapshot of Barrie and Carolyn with their vista. It’s so quiet out here!

I feel a little more rested than the other days but get tired fairly fast so I open up the window and try to get some more oxygen into my blood. I’m in the mountains and I love it.

The weather could be a little better but that I can’t change or can I? Soon the landscape changes again and it becomes really flat. Maybe that’s how Kansas is going to be next month.

Montana is way bigger than I had thought and I’m driving and driving and seem to get nowhere. Soon I need to get gas and stop in the next place that has a gas station. They are fairly spread out and I don;t want to take a risk. The city/village is called Forsyth. Very depressing, I wonder how live is when you’re stuck in a place like that. I take a little cruise through the downtown and it looks totally deserted. The only people I see where at the gas station which was just off the highway.

A couple of hours later I finally enter North Dakota. The sky is now almost black and I see horizontal lightning strokes. Yet it is not raining. The view is amazing and then it starts. A lot of water comes down but I can see the light in the horizon

Amazing how quick the weather can change here. I haven’t done any sightseeing yet though I passes Yellowstone and a couple of other places. Net time around I need to plan for that as well but now I need to get going. When I see a sign for the “Painted Canyon” I can’t resist and stop for a little bit and let my mind drift and walk into the North Dakota Bad Lands

It is getting dark now and I cross into another time zone from mountain time to central. I wanted to make it to Bismark so I have a shorter drive tomorrow to Aberdeen but I’m fried and need a bed and some food. I’m out of gas as well and so I stop at a place called New Salem. It’s basically just a motel, a gas station and a couple of houses down the road. The owner of the motel is a nice old guy with a big grin and the room is ok and cheap.
I get a slice of pizza at the gas station and was looking forward to a beer when the guy at the station is telling me that no one is selling alcohol on Easter - Däng!!! What’s with all that wine that those dudes had way back then!

No comments: