Saturday, April 22, 2006

Ferrick in St Louis

Today I’m going to play early in the morning at Lazy Daze. I don’t feel like playing at 11 am but I know I’ll get in it after a good shower and a decent breakfast. It’s going to be a long day. Robin and me have breakfast at a typical american diner.

The Lazy daze is a small coffee shop close to downtown with a little patio where I set up. It’s my first outside show and I’m excited.

Well, no reason for it there is nobody there and most of the time I’m playing for just Robin. After a while I have a couple of people sitting there but still. It’s the third in a row and I must say that it becomes a little harder to be putting out good energy if there is nothing coming back - got to get through it. After the show we go back to Robin’s house and get ready to drive to St Louis to see Melissa Ferrick. Kelly, another Ferrick fan has joined us. Let’s see what the day brings.

It’s about an 4.5 hour drive and the landscape changes to a more saturated green the more we go South. All over sudden I see a gigantic cross on the horizon and don’t have a clue what to think about that!

We drive to the hotel we’re staying the night and then from there to the venue. St. Louis has a fascinating Skyline with a most prominent arch that is a masterpiece of architecture.

We are the first to arrive at the venue and the girls are excited. They are true fans and I’m fascinated how the lesbian community follows their hero’s around. I haven’t been to a good show for a while and am curious how it feels to be one of the only man in a big crowd of gay woman. Slowly other people arrive and I get used to the thought. The venue is called “Off Broadway” and reminds me a little of the Tractor in Seattle, only a little bigger. The opening act is Kennie Starr, a Canadian that does something between spoken word and Rap. I like it and she’s good on stage.
Around 10 pm Melissa comes on stage with just a guitar. The moment she starts is like a bomb exploding, both her guitar playing and singing is simply stellar and she completely floors me with her energy and personality.

I certainly did not expect that! After 5 songs her friend Allison comes on stage to play drums. Same here, great musicianship paired with a lot of energy. This is probably the best show I’ve seen since I’m in the US. Absolutely inspiring!
On our way back to the motel we get lost and have to do some unexpected turns and finally reach our destination way after 1am. We need to get going not later than 8 am because I have to get to Chicago and so I curl up and fall asleep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hans -
Nice write up on Ferrick. She is a ball of energy and a fantastic intro into what a "live" show is all about!
MF is a real treasure and certainly her talents, personality and drive are more than deserving of the big payday.
Glad you enjoyed her show. Check out some other Boston based indie talent such as Ellis Paul or Vance Gilbert. The talent pool here is the best!!
best wishes...
Peter

Anonymous said...

Download exclusive Melissa Ferrick ringtones for your mobile phone at:

http://www.medialicious.tv


http://www.startxt.com/MEDIA/index.php?l=EN&a=da&t=c&s=Melissa+Ferrick


Medialcious is the premiere mobile entertainment destination for the
LGBT community.


Feed your phone right.


info@medialicious.tv