Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The City Never Sleeps

It’s another early morning and I’m quite tired. I was supposed to drive from Boston to Brooklyn, get settled, take the subway to uptown NY, teach a two hour lesson and then go to CBGB’s and play a show. Luckily I cancelled the lesson and rescheduled for tomorrow. Yesterday’s fiasco with my computer, the drive and rain took out some of my energy. So I trake it easy and leave around 10 am instead of 8 am. Steve and Vicky were so nice and I’m glad to have made new friends. They give me a Starbucks card as a goodbye present and I get on my way.

The drive is ok but it starts raining pretty soon.

I have directions but at some point I take Exit 14 in CT rather than in NY which gets be out into the boons. At least it’s pretty here and I take a quick snapshot before I wind my way back to the highway.

New York City, I love it, never drove my car though. When I reach the Bronx the traffic starts picking up.

Around 3:30 pm I reach Brooklyn where I stay with my friend Andy, Sheila and their daughter Calli.

I haven’t seen Andy for more than 7 years and we just pick up where we left as if no time had passed. He’s pretty busy preparing for a job interview as Composition teacher at the Vienna conservatory plus he’s currently recording a new Octet he wrote. Before I leave for the show we take a little stroll around the block and I get to see the street were they filmed a flick with Jack Nicholson and either Helen Hunt or Jodie Foster, I’m not sure (As good as it gets).

When we get back I get ready and leave for the subway.

The CBGBs is downtown Manhattan at Bowery and I meet there with my friends Tom and Robin. Tom is going to play the set with me.

I’m playing at the gallery, next to the downstairs and it’s a nice venue. The only disturbing thing is the rumbling sound of Marshall stacks from the show next door but whatever…

Carol Alban my flute player friend from Oakland is also in NYC and sits in with her friend Karen.

After the show Tom, Robin and me go out for dinner. Somehow I have one glas of wine too many and get a little silly. I’m tired from a full day and around 1 am were sitting in the subway on the way back to Brooklyn. Tom and Robin moved there from Seattle about 6 months ago. Andy is still awake when I come home so we chat another hour before I fall flat into bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hans!

The Big Apple has been conquered (or at least humbled) by your persevering spirit! I hear the east coast got slammed with alot of water. I'm glad to see you survived it. Nice pics by the way..oh and it was Helen Hunt. Great movie. Take care and be well! Cheesburger in Paradise tonight...I like the name. Do they deliver? :)

Rosendo