Thursday, May 11, 2006

Disoriented

I have a little headache when I wake up from partying a little too much, well there has to be some Rock’n Roll. After a couple of hours of email and biz I get ready to go to my students house in uptown Manhatten. Frrom Andy’s house ot’s a little walk to the subway.

I have to change trains several times and somehow I get disoriented and take the 2 train in the wrong direction. I’m slow processing and only realize it when I reach the last station in Brooklyn 25 minutes later. When I take the train back I’m the only white dude and it’s actually kind of funny. I have to get out at 96th Street and take a cab to Riverside Drive. All in all it took about 2,5 hours in the subway to get there – well including my little detour.

Shiro is from Japan and works as a translator. He wants to learn DADGAD tuning and somehow found me online and got in touch. He lives in an apartment on the 11th floor and from there I can oversee the Hudson river.
After a 2 hour lesson I make my way back to Brooklyn. This time I get into an express train and fly by my exit – darn, not again. Four stops later I can take a train back. I says local which means it stops at every station, not just at a few. It is another Express and this time I pass by in the other direction. What’s wrong today? I’m quite exhausted when I finally reach Andy’s house. I have to get myself ready to leave for the Vox Pop pretty soon and just have time to have a little bite with Sheila and Calli.
The Vox Pop is only about 4 minutes driving away but I get totally lost and it takes me about 45 minutes. I can’t believe that, I’m usually pretty good with directions. Jeff Jacobson a Singer Songwriter from NYC that I invited to share the bill is already there. He’s a very nice fellow and a great writer, so I get to enjoy some good music.

After the 4th song I get up and play with him the rest of his show. Then Tom and me go on.

It’s a nice atmosphere and I like the combination of books, coffee, beer and friendly staff. After the show I hang out with some of them and share some more songs off stage. The guitar makes the round and several of them play a song or two for me.

It’s getting real late and I need to go back and get some sleep. Again I get lost and can’t help but laughing out loud – this is pathetic and it’s amazing how disoriented I’ve been today.

No comments: