Friday, May 05, 2006

Radio,TV, Beach & Rush Hour

I did not sleep very well so I wake up at 7 am to the continental alarm of my cell phone not knowing where I am nor how I got here. Luckily it only last for a couple of seconds. I jump out of bed under the shower and get ready.

It takes me a while to find the radio station and luckily I left the motel a little early. Chris, the host at WMPG is a wonderful, resourceful character and asset to the indie community in the North East besides a great interviewer and host, means I have a blast and don’t realize that I have only had about 3 hours of mediocre sleep and no coffee nor breakfast. Here is Chris with Danielle Miraglia, a great singer songwriter from Boston who was his first guest.

After the interview I have to dash out and drive to the WCSH6 (Channel 6, NBC) for an interview and some songs. It’s downtown Portland and I luckily find a parking spot in front of the station. Kathleen Shannon, the anchor is already wait for me and I’m a little late so bang, bang I’m in the middle of a song. They asked me if I can shorten it so I try but have to stop after a minute because I shortened the lyrics and messed up the rest- after all I’m tired with no breakfast yet. It’s no big deal and they let play the song the way it is. I love TV, the adrenalin is always a little higher. Here is a pic with producer Becky Smith and Kathleen Shannon, anchor of 207, the show I will be on this evening.

They are soooo nice and Becky gives me a big hug on the way out and two mugs for the girls. Now I need some caffein and food. There is a sweet place nearby and I get a seat right next to this thing.

Then I leave Portland for a show in Rockland, MA this evening. On the way out I drive by a wonderful park and think about stopping and talking a walk.

I decide to drive for a bit and rather make a stop somewhere along the Maine coast. I find a little village and walk straight to the Beach checking out the Atlantic ocean.




Isn’t it beautiful? Views like that make my day and everything worthwhile. I hang out for about half an hour before I get back on the road. It’s still some ways and I have to drive through Boston on a Friday afternoon. Not good! and from a peaceful quite Maine shore I drive into the hectic Boston Friday rush hour.

I’m nuts! I get stuck for 1.5 hours in on e of the tunnels and almost lose it. It takes forever and it’s hot in my car so I have to keep all windows open but then I get dizzy from the exhausts so I close them again and sweat like a pig. I arrive in Rockland just in time to set up.

Man am I done. Somehow I can’t imagine playing a show tonight and interesting enough my mental suggestion seem to have taken on reality and nobody shows up - I mean nobody, that is my record! I’m not frustrated and know that I took on the whole US, not just part of it, so I enjoy my chat with Bob Alonge the owner, his wife and a friend and play three songs for them before I leave.

Tomorrow I have to be back in Portland so I’m thinking of driving up again but feel that this is not working. I Watertown and give them a call. They are only about 40 min away and happy to have me for the night - lucky me. I bring a bottle of wine and we chat until late. Good to have these little islands of friendship and peace of mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hans,

Beautiful shots of the beach houses and the park. You know that shot of you you heading into Boston looks familiar. I remenber driving from Utica, NY into Boston once and that traffic looks horrifically familiar. I'm from LA and am used to traffic, but those Bostonians are friggin tough. They didn't give me an inch. Sorry to hear no one showed up at one of your shows! Their loss!

Stay well my friend!

Rosendo