Wednesday, May 03, 2006

On the road to Boston

It was great having some days off but I’m also looking forward to get back in the groove again. It is raining today my eyes glance over the backyard at Linda’s house in Bedford.

It’s amazing how close we are to the city (Boston) but still it feels absolutely rural.
After a good breakfast I pack everything in the car and start driving again. It’s not far, I’m going to Watertown, MA where I stay the night with my friend Steve’s sister Vicky, her daughter Ella and husband Andy, who is out at work.

Tonight I’m playing in Cambridge at the All Asia. Ella is a sweet kid and instead of talking to me she sings on and on and makes up lyrics on the spot. It is simply hilarious and it feels good having that energy around me. I leave around 6 pm to drive into the city. I’m supposed to be the feature in an open mic night which I like because usually you have all the aspiring songwriters there to listen. Well, when I arrive, I’m pretty much the only one there with about two folks hanging on the bar. I ask the proprietor about the open mic and he says that it starts in an hour and I play before that. I certainly did not expect that but that’s part of being out there in the unknown. Luckily I have my mic and stand (they are not equipped) and set up.

A few people come in but mainly I play for about 6 customers that watch the Red Sox. I hate TVs in Bars! Around my last song the Open mic host Christian arrives. He’s a nice guy and comes to talk with me afterwards. I’ve seen a lot of open mics and give him some suggestions of how to improve it. That one certainly does not cut it yet. I stay for his opening songs and a couple of performers and drive back to Vicky’s house. Her husband is already in bed with a cold and headache so it’s just us two and a bottle of Beaujolais.

I think I need that, I’m a bit frustrated but after the second glass and some real good conversation my mood starts leveling out and I’m back on track again. Tomorrow is another day...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tis true my friend..tomorrow is another day! A day full of possiblilties!