Friday, March 03, 2006

Ashland Artwalk

When I left for Ashland this morning I felt a wave of joy coming up while driving down the road. It reminded me of being 18 again just when I got my driving license and used to drive around without any destination - the feeling of power and control. I can go wherever I want to - well tonight I was expected in Ashland at the Mobius a wonderful small Theater like event. I was scheduled to play during their monthly Artwalk. When I arrived the artists had already set up their tables and I did a quick sound check.


Then I went to Cat and Bill’s house where I would stay tonight. After a short chat with Cat I changed and went back to the Mobius. The Artwalk was going well and the venue was almost packed. Marla, the MC and booker went on stage to announce me - the noise level was off the scale as was the response - none! Wow that would be an interesting evening playing for a “Schmuzefest” as someone was referring to. People didn’t care and after I stopped the first song it went just back to the noise level of people talking and getting some free food. I raised my voice and said hi again, trying to talk about another song. Somehow I could not think of any that I wanted to play - what for? But I guess that is when the professional attitude kicks in and I just went through with it. After the crowd thinned out there were actually some people listening and when I finished a friend came by that I hadn’t seen for some years so I played a couple more songs.
The goodbye was short and painless, though it saddens me a little that it was such a nice venue that I probably never play again - well I should go with Sean Connery and never say never. The Thai take out was good and the conversation with Bill and Cat worth driving down.
Tomorrow is another day!

No comments: