Sunday, March 19, 2006

Birthday Bash in Fresno

Today’s my birthday and I’m on the road again leaving Sutter Creek going down south to Fresno where i have a house concert. Still waiting for spring which is supposed to start tomorrow.

The drive is eventless and I must say that I’m not particularly fond of that stretch of Highway 99. It’s dull and flat and I have simply done it too often. I’m glad when I see the sign for Herndon which is my exit in Fresno. My inlaws are already preparing their house for the show and expect about 40 people, a large crowd for the size of the living room. We rearrange the piano and furniture and come up with a working solution. My friend Jemmy Bluestein comes a before the show and gives me a arm and joint massage. Both my wrists are starting to hurt and kind of bother me while playing. He’s also showing me some stretching exercise he invented to counter balance the repetitive motions of playing the guitar and piano.
Somehow I’m nervous and stay in my room while the house fills up. Though I’ll probably know most everybody coming tonight I need some alone time. Pat announces me and I come out. Full house - yes, I love it and they do too! It;’s a great show and at the end everybody starts singing happy birthday. I’m pretty moved and try to get rid of some snot that’s trying to run away.

After the concert I can talk to all my friends here. I should eat but am not very hungry. Later that evening I jam with my friends Evo and Jemmy Bluestein. We do the Zydeco and people start to dance around.

I met Evo and Jemmy at a German music camp that was built after Lark in the morning. In ‘98 I visited them and decided to stay for good. Linda a good fiddler and teacher invites me to do a school show for her class the next morning and so I’ll do another of those. It seems that I can incorporate that into a tour and use the Mondays and Tuesdays for that. I love going into a class room and play for kids.
Around 11 pm the house empties out and I spend a couple of hours catching up with email not realizing that I have to get up early tomorrow and be bright. Well, let’s see. However, it was a great birthday party and concert and I’m hovering about 10 inches above ground towards my bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Leider wussten wir nicht dass Dein Geburtstag am 19 Maerz ist!! Etwa zu spaet wuenschen wir alles gutes zum neuen Jahr. Gute Reise und bis zum naechste (13 April oder?)

Cheers,

MJ and Chuck in Seattle