Friday, March 10, 2006

San Francisco I missed you

After packing all my stuff and saying goodbye to Howard and Merritt I’ll drive into Santa Rosa and visit Mick and Laurie at the violin shop. It’s located in the heard of downtown and has an European flair. It’s actually a little bit like going into a Violin shop in Vienna.

We chat for some hours and eat burritos. After lunch I play a couple of songs and both sing harmony on “Listen To The Moon” one of their favorites. Emile, a guitar builder who works just next door joins us and I get to play one of his guitars. It has a great sound and I play some Brazilian songs. It’s getting time to leave and say another goodbye (I got to write a song about all these little goodbyes) I’m on my way down 101 South to San Francisco. I loved that city, it has such an interesting flair. It’s raining again crossing over the Golden Gate -

but stops as soon as I enter the city driving down to Point Lobos. I spend some time sitting on a bench and watching the Pacific enjoying the brief sunshine on my face and the stunning view.

After the energy charge I drive down to the Sacred Grounds Cafe. Parking is always an issue but I am lucky and find a spot close by. No poster or anything that indicates that I play tonight. Bruce’s chinese wife recognizes me but does not know anything about tonight and just hopes that all my friends will show. I know that Phil wanted to come from San Jose to see me but other than that I’m not sure if I get anyone out here without any advertisement. My attempts to get it in the paper failed because the Sacred Ground Cafe is not officially listed as a music venue, which safes Bruce the exorbitant entertainment license that the city put upon little businesses that want to have live music but also makes it almost impossible fgor touring artists without a local following. It’s about 7:30 pm and I’m thinking of calling it off, there is no one here but two people checking their email. I see Bruce around 7:45 pm and let him know that I pass. It’s no problem and we sit down with a beer and chat ‘till about 10 pm about music, the biz and community. He’s a wonderful character and has really tried to make music happening but it just didn’t work out.
Here is a picture with him and me just before I leave.

I’m going to stay with Will and his wife Nicole. I know Will since I came to the US and stayed with him in his downtown house several times. Now they moved out to Mill Valley, just 10 minutes North of the Golden Gate Bridge. I can’t help but doing some experiments with my camera while I cross it.

Their place is easy to find and we chat until midnight. They have a downstairs room with two couches that I can choose from. I’m curious about the morning view from the deck.

No comments: