Friday, March 24, 2006

Further South to the Backstage

In the morning Judy made a nice breakfast and we ate outside for the first time this year.

It was great sitting in the sun and I stayed until about noon before I left for Moorepark where James is living with his girlfriend Melinda. Both are singer songwriters and james is opening for me tonight at the Coffee Gallery backstage in Altadena. First I had to make a short stop at the Cayucos Beach to see the pacific.

The drive down south is very beautiful and enjoyable at a cruising speed. There was no traffic up to Santa Barbara but ther I could at least check out some palm trees while being stuck.

I arrived at about 4pm in Moorepark. Somehow it was as if we knew each other for a long time and it felt great to finally meet. We left around 5pm for Altadena and Melinda drove with me so I would not get lost somewhere in the Fernando Valley. Wed were lucky and got to the club early enough to set up in a relaxed manner which I needed after 5 hours in the car. Bob Stane, the owner of the Gallery Backstage is a veteran in show biz. He used to run a club in the 60s that was the first all Comedy Club in LA and youngsters like Jay Leno or David Letterman bit their tongs and sweat on his stage. He gives me envelope with a couple of articles that were in the news and mumbled something like “well done”. One of the largest paper in LA did a full page interview and we’re both impressed that it worked out so well. I also got a fare share of airplay. Lets see what it does.

Here is a pic of James and me before the show.

James did a great Job opening up and our styles fit very well together. I love this small place and the atmosphere even though we only have a bout 20 guests. Bob does a great Job doing the lights and sound and creates a theater like tension before I go up on stage. The show goes really well and the sound is inspiring. After that a bunch of us goes out for dinner.

We sit until late chatting about god and the world and its great being in good company after a wonderful show. The drive back to Moorepark is about an hour and by about 3am I’m finally in my sleeping bag. I gfot to get up at 7:45 to get to a radio interview with Larry Wines on KCSN in LA

No comments: