Monday, March 27, 2006

City of the Angeles

James, Melinda and me spend most of the day hanging at their home and doing some email and myspace stuff. I finally get all the new emails I collected from the tour into my data base which only takes several hours. Tonight is going to be an open mic at Kulak’s Woodshed in North Hollywood. It is said to be one of the best in the world. Well, I haven’t heard of any other that does a live Web cast with 6 professional cameras and has audience all over the world. You can get a DVD of your performance for $20 that is professionally recorded. Before we go we fool around with taking some pics. Here’s a nice one of Melinda.

The drive to North Hollywood is about an hour. The sun is about to set and I love seeing the lights of the Fernando Valley mixed with the oncoming traffic.

Once we arrive my friends introduce me to the whole community. I must say that I haven’t expected that from Los Angeles and I’m moved by the way everybody is supported. I need to bring some of that back to Seattle and communicate this example to my friends up North. Kulak’s is such a cosy place with couches and even a bed to hang out.

They handle the Open Mic with a drawing, where everybody fills out a slip for one song and puts it into a bucket. Kiki Wow who works for Warner Brothers and is also a singer songwriter hosts and MCs the event. When my name is drawn as #14 people cheer and I’m totally moved. When James gets drawn he gives up his slot to give me the opportunity to perform two songs - man, good friends are a blessing. It’s a record night and a total of 27 people don’t get to play but most of them stay through the night to support everybody that is going up.

When it’s my turn they cheer again and I play “Inner Windows” and “Invocation”.
The reaction is overwhelming and the room is boiling over. This open mic has miraculously become the highlight of my whole tour and for once I realize why it is called “City of the Angeles” in the first place. Who would have thought of an loving island like that in the heart of L.A. There is a lot of talent in the room and most people stay throughout the night. When it’s over Kiki comes up to me and hands me a DVD of my performance as a present. What an evening! Here’s Kiki and me.

After the show we go out for some dinner and then do the drive back home. I certainly made some new friends and from now on I’ll see a different picture in my mind when I think about L.A.

No comments: