Saturday, March 04, 2006

Mount Shasta Weather

The morning out in Talent where Cat & Bill's house is hidden in a patch of mistletoe covered Oak trees is cold but sunny. Northern Oregon, just before the Sisquiyou pass can have a lot of rain and snow, so we're still good and I'm thinking of my chains that I left in Seattle. After a cup of coffee, especially brewed by Bill (he is a master in various crafts) I play some music with Cat and show her something on the Autoharp. Working with them during my first year and being around one of the best Kilby Snow style players in the world now comes in very handy.

I spot a Ukulele - the real deal with Koa wood and in perfect tuning straight from Hawaii and we start playing "Banks of the Ohio" and "Country Road". ho would have thought that I ever like that kind of music. I start strumming "Something" remembering Paul McCartney in the "Concert for George" movie and have a huge smile on my face. Life is good.

I stay until 3 pm before I head out towards Mt Shasta. Now comes my favorite part on I5, just when you're across the Sisquiyou pass the scenery opens up into a wide valley with Mt. Shasta as focal point. Wow, again - I saw that many times and am still totally fascinated by it. Mountains simply talk to my soul on a deeper level and make me feel humble and fill me with grace and respect.

When I reach the Stage Door Tom and his band are practicing and I sit ant listen for a while. Django style jazz, I love it! The little theater is one of my favorite venues on the West Coast. Tonight is cold and we expect snow so I lowered my expectation of how many people will show up. They played me on NPR all day and I had a good article in the Newspaper but you never can tell. Well, about 11 souls at 8 pm. I'm in a weired mood and try to catch it before it goes out of hand. I'm successful and the audience is lovely. Sometimes it is the quality , no the quantity.

I play one long inspired set and am thanked with a standing ovation! Not bad for just 11 people. As encore I play three of my favorite Beatles tunes and everybody starts singing"Here comes the sun - do den do do". I have some nice talks after the show and make some new friends, some of which come from near Eureka where I play the Chapala Cafe on Wednesday. They invited me to stay with them while I'm down there - I love touring, you just never know what is going to happen next. After a nice bottle of IPA and a great Greek Wrap Tom and me close up the Theater. It is snowing and darn cold and I'm not really prepared for that. Toms battery is dead and I have to drive my little Honda out to his house in the hills. We both don't know if I will make it but I'm used to drive in snow from back in Germany. It's close but I get the car into his driveway. I get my guitars out of the trunk and walk through deep knee high snow to his house. Julie his wife is already asleep and after a nice conversation about Art and Life we both go to bed.

No comments: