Saturday, March 25, 2006

The wizzard of pinball

I get up at the first alarm of my cell phone, slip into my pence and get going. I still have to fill the tank again and don’t want to be late for the interview. I arrive on the clock and Larry comes down to greet me with a parking pass. He’s a wonderful soul and I already spoke a little bit with him yesterday after the show. We go up to the studio and 5 minutes later I’m on the air. Boy is it early! I didn’t have breakfast nor coffee and only 4 hours sleep. I have no clue how I do it but somehow it works out and Larry’s very happy.

When I want to say good bye he says ‘Wait a little, let’s go the other studio and do another show for future airing.“ Oh my, well why not. It turns out to be so much fun and the hour flies by. He’s such a professional and engaged interviewer and makes it very easy even if you’re not awake to think yet.

After that we treat ourselves to a Chines buffet that knocks out most of the dinners I had in my life. All you can eat with Crab legs, other fish dishes and pretty much anything you can imagine. We walk out about three hours later - better said we roll out! What an enjoyable morning and early afternoon. Before I leave Larry suggests to take one of the canyon roads down to Highway 1 and the beach.It’s a great drive and all over sudden I see the sign for ”Malibu.“ Wow, I know it from movies and books but it’s different being here. I stop at a park and walk around watching Pelicans fly.

There is also a museum/house that shows of the artful tiles that made Malibu famous in the 50s. It’s a beautiful structure and I imagine how life was here before so many people moved in. Here is picture of the tiles that were part of the house.

From here it’s a short drive along the coast before turning onto Kanan Dume road which leads through the mountains to Agoura Hills. It’s a nice Cafe with a good stage. I have a little time so I sit down and relax into a Soy Latte.
Tonight it is going to be a triple bill with Duff Ferguson, James and me.

There are only about 6 people showing up but it shows again that quality goes over quantity, well not necessarily from a financial point of view but still. One of the guests is Alan Abrahams, a well known and connected producer that happened to buy a CD of each performer before we even started saying that he can’t stay and has to leave in a couple of minutes. Well, he sits in a couch throughout the whole concert enjoying each and everyone in stage. Right before the show Mindi Martin, another music producer and 3 times World Pinball Champion and Guiness Book record holder with playing 23 days non stop walks into the room.

She’s a wonderful spirit, good friend of James and has done and seen it all.

No comments: