Thursday, March 09, 2006

Radio like it should be

In the morning I looked out the window and was on top of a mountain with a stunning view into the foggy Humboldt Bay. It was still early and after a cup of coffee and a nice goodbye picture of Marty and Jodi I started the drive down the hill.

After about 30 minutes I drove again on 101 into Eureka. I found a little Internet Cafe where I could do some biz before went on to Santa Rosa. Marty had mentioned KHUM in Ferndale again and Mike Dronkers who is the DJ. I had some email exchange with him. I called them from my car and he was on the air, so I got that number and called him right away. He invited me on the spot to come over and play a couple of songs on the air.

Ferndale is a little victorian town that lies quietly in a valley some 5 miles away from 101. Radio the way it should be everywhere. I had such a great time and left with a big smile. I did a short detour to visit the old downtown and check out some buildings.

Back on the road it started pouring again, the further I get south the harder it rains and even mixes with snow. It takes almost twice as long to get down to Santa Rosa and I arrive just in time for a shower and a little dinner. Howard and Merritts house lies in the hills and oversees the valley. They are wonderful people that I met while touring with Jamie several years ago. They have a great house music series and are the only ones in the area. We have about 17 people coming for the show which is a nice full room. Their attentiveness is very inspiring and it turns out to be a wonderful exciting show. On the way out we take a couple of pictures with some of the audience.

I’m already looking forward to returning next year, Merritt has offered to get me some school shows to add on which would be lovely.

No comments: